Here’s our favorite Gak recipe.
A bowl of any kind, large enough to hold a few cups and for a tot to stir without splashing
Separate bowl or cup for mixing Borax and water
A spoon or spatula
8 ounces of white glue (usually two regular sized bottles)
Food coloring of your choice (optional)
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon Borax
Additional hot water for filling the empty glue bottles
1. Pour all the glue into your bowl.
2. Fill glue bottle half way with warm water and shake to get all the glue out. Pour into bowl. (I’m not sure that this step was really necessary but we did it and I haven’t tried making another batch without doing it).
3. Add food coloring if desired.
4. Stir the glue, water and food coloring until mixed.
5. Add 1 teaspoon Borax to 1/2 cup of warm water and stir.
6. Pour Borax-water solution into bowl and mix.
It’ll get stringy and and form a solid pretty quickly. Ditch the spoon and use your hands to squish it up. Then plop it on your table and have fun! We used paper towels to soak up the extra water but once you’ve got your mixture formed it’s a completely mess free way to play.
Store your Gak in a zip bag to be able to use it over and over again.